Although ready made tomato puree is available in cans in a store, we recommend making your own tomato puree for obvious reasons. Tomato puree can be used to make pasta sauce or tomato soup. It can be used to cook flavorful rice.
The best tomatoes that can be used age plum, very soft and very ripe Roma tomatoes. There are essentially 5 steps – Blanch, Peel the Skin and Blend, Simmer.
Ingredients You Need:
5 pounds Roma tomatoes
Salt – ½ tsp (Optional)
Sugar – 1 tsp (Optional)
Vinegar – 1 tsp (Optional)
Yield – About 70 oz of puree.
- Wash the tomatoes. Rinse under water.
- Bring a pot of water to boil over a medium flame. Cook the tomatoes in it until the skin starts to peel off.
- Remove the tomatoes from the pot and put in cold water. Peel off the skin and cut the tomatoes in half. At this step, if you do not want the seeds, you can discard the seeds depending on your preference. Tomato seeds are beneficial.
- Make a puree of the tomatoes by blending them in a blender or food processor.
- You can store the puree in quart zip-top freezer bags.
- This step is optional – If you want to increase the shelf life of your puree, add some sugar and salt and vinegar to the puree and simmer it in a pot for some time and then pack them in glass containers.